Tuesday, December 19, 2006

23 Videos You Should Check out Before the End of 2006

This post could have taken on many titles, the first of which that came to mind being, "This Blog's First Post that I would Actually Check out if I were You". Instead, though, I decided to go with the title above. When I was putting this together, I was trying to decide, "Should I do, like, 23 songs I love from 2006?" or "Should I do my favorite 23 songs of all-time?". While that was probably the line of thinking that inspired this post, those ideas are something that I fear are beyond my abilities. Instead, what follows are 23 videos, pretty much all music, that I feel you should check out. Some of the titles that are in this list aren't new to anybody - and I guess there's a good reason for that -- if something is well known, it has a chance of being pretty good. However, known or not, many of the following videos are pretty unique, and you probably haven't seen most of these before or heard many of the versions of these songs before. At least I hadn't, before I went out on my hunt to put this all together.

So without further ado, starting with #23 and going to #1, enjoy the following videos! I plan on doing a list of 23 funniest things I've seen on Youtube, too, but only if I get 5 comments/emails about this list. So if you like this, pass this on to someone you know to check it out, and if there's interest, I'd love to post the next list.

Enjoy!


Starting with a regular music video, this is a simply great song by a band that isn't too well known outside of Chicago. If you've never seen the video, though, check it out and get hooked.
#23. Time to Waste - Alkaline Trio

This isn't the last song I have in here from these guys. A very cool live cut.

# 22. A Message - Coldplay

Rolling Meadows, IL, is the hometown of these guys. There isn't much great audio in this clip, but I love seeing those few moments of live energy.
#21. Attention Attention - The Academy Is

"Oh you're reputation's so golden, you're never lonely, and you're never home"..A catchy lyric that for some reason always sticks with me. Enjoy.
#20 Leaving Town - Dexter Freebish

This clip should be way higher than #19. However, I am afraid you'll stop scrolling if you don't see the goods soon. Awesome live version.
#19.The Remedy - Jason Mraz

My favorite song by these guys - played very chill and acoustic.
#18. Hands Open - Snow Patrol

In honor of Christmas, one of the classic arrangements ever written.
#17. Canon - Pachabel

Remember this song? Nothing amazing musically maybe, but great video.
#16. Kick Some Ass - Stroke 9

Another pick that could be so much higher, but I can't wait. Listen to this arrangement - Dave Grohl is definitely a top 5 all-time musician.
#15. Everlong (New Arrangement) - Foo Fighters

You don't have to be a hip-hop fan to know something great when you hear it. One of my favorite songs of the year.
#14. Kick Push - Lupe Fiasco

Just the regular music video, but still a great song.
#13. A Lifetime - Better Than Ezra

Seeing this guy live is the only real way to see how good he really is.
#12. Chariot - Gavin DeGraw

Rarely do covers turn out better than the original. Shinedown does this better than Lynyrd, no question. Just a rediculously great live version.
#11. Simple Man - Shinedown

Note: I don't like this video. I like this song so much, that I put it in a list of videos, just so you could hear it if you never have before.
#10. Needs - Collective Soul

If there was a federal case made about why I wanted to learn piano, this would be my "Exhibit A". You'll love this song 100 times more after hearing it like this. #9. Mr. Brightside - The Killers

100's of people in this crowd realized that this song wasn't by Blues Traveler after all! Great live version.
#8. All For You - Sister Hazel

Weird ass video of an old song that's kick ass. Maybe its good this band broke up, because are a little out there, but hey, good stuff.
#7. Never Say Never - That Dog

This is for the ladies. Enjoy.
#6. Almost Honest - Josh Kelley

Great live version of another old, forgotten song that should be a classic. #5. Seeing Red - Unwritten Law

I'm dedicating this to the U-M hockey girls of 2004-05. You guys could sure party, and this song pretty much reminds me of those times every single time.
#4. Teenage Dirtbag - Wheatus

I was sitting on my couch, sometime in summer of 2005. I had nothing going on and I was flipping through the channels and came upon this -- I didn't like Coldplay that much before I saw this exact video. It took me about 1 second after listening to this to realize I was about to become a huge fan.
#3. Fix You - Coldplay

#2. Come and Go - Virginia Coalition - I cannot find a good video of this particular song. I have tried to attach an MP3 to this, however, that I hope you click on and can download. I don't know much else to say other than this song is brilliant. If the link doesn't work, immediately download this song on your own.

If you know me well, you are not the least bit surprised to see this at #1. In fact, if you thought I was putting anyone else at #1, you just haven't been paying attention the last 12 years.
#1. Say it Ain't So - Weezer

1 comment:

Geewhiz said...

bring on the youtube funniest