Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Oh My God: Boise State Fan For Life?

For those of you who went to bed early, were working, or plain just turned off the Boise State vs. Oklahoma Fiesta Bowl, I am so so sorry.


You will hear all about the actual happenings of the game - I hope - very soon. Read the link for all of the specifics. I really don't believe it all just happened -I am still having a hard time processing all of the events. To go from a game that I really didn't care that much about to a "where was I when that happened" status is, well, staggering.

To be honest, the best way I can describe it is this: it was like some sort of strange collision of fiction and reality meeting in an alternate universe. This game was a wild combination of the 1994 movie Little Giants and the 2000 movie The Replacements. Bob Stoops became Ed O'Neill tonight (think Al Bundy. Yep, that's Ed). Jared Zabransky and Ian Johnson together morphed into Shane Falco, being both the goat(s) and then suddenly the hero(es). If you think that comparison is ridiculous, realize that right after the game, during the postgame interview, Johnson proposed to his girlfriend, who was BSU's head cheerleader in front of national television and 1000's of screaming Boise State fans. Seem too strange to believe? Well, don't worry, because BSU also won the game on the statue of liberty. I think Little Giants was actually viewed in the BSU film room all week long, that's the only way to explain this.

To be honest, I could be a bigger college sports fan. I like the atmosphere, but I don't root for anybody ever usually except my Maize and Blue, who wore it again in the Rose Bowl. I would be the kind of person who likes pro sports and college about equally, which I know to some people is pretty sacrilege. But this game was rediculous - this wasn't even just a good football game. This was like the best football game I've ever seen, the best movie I've ever seen, and potentially the most amazing reality-TV thing I've ever seen all rolled into one. I have a feeling I wasn't the only person who saw this happening, with nothing more than typical football-fan passing interest, and left actually shaking and wondering where to go with the rest of life. Seriously, what the hell just happened?

And I haven't even gotten into the part where BSU dominates most of the game, then pisses away a 18-point lead, then TOTALLY blows the game and breaks everyone's hearts. Wait, how is that possible? That happened, too??

This was a comedy, a tragedy, a nightmare and an inspirational tale all rolled into one. This game will inspire a book someday very soon. This story will be a bestseller. I would say there will also be a movie about this game one day, but the weirdest thing -- there are actually already two of them, and they don't do it justice at all.

No comments: