Wednesday, October 25, 2006

XBOX Madden Strategy Guide, Versions 2005-2007

Without my poker sanctuary, life has turned back to simpler times.

Madden 2005 times in fact.

It should be known that I have never owned 2007 or 2006 versions of Xbox Madden, primarily for two reasons:

1. the QB vision feature, the main addition to 2006-07 versions, is greatly dismissed by many in human v. human play, and it doesn't really add a great deal of skill to the game other than mastering one more key. Bad QBs just threw bad passes in the old verisions, good QBs threw better ones. The vision feature really isn't that cool.

2. The 2005 version came as close to perfecting Xbox football simulation as possible. It was the first year that they mastered defensive controls and CPU A.I. (to as much a degree as they can allow I guess).

Now, I have never entered a Madden "Bowl" or the official tournament -- although I am quite certain that I could win it given a couple of weeks to re-strategize. My biggest problem with those tournaments?

They are typically always played with game difficulty set on Rookie or the second level (can't even remember the name), rendering the CPU defensive abilities for both teams almost completely useless.

But its HUMAN v. HUMAN you say! It doesn't really matter right?
Well, actually....it greatly affects how well all the other guys on the field perform. The ones you can't always control.
Great for scoring a lot of points, and great for using the same tactics as you could use when playing Super TecmoBowl for NES.

Not much for realism, or challenge -- IMHO.

So anyway, I believe this has lead to a lot of people around who think they are really good at Madden....yikes. But they aren't.

I've known people who claim to be the best they know, yet, have never a) had to EVER control the reciever for catching the pass, b) have ever had to worry about the CPU pass rush, c) throw late over the middle, past DL and LBs, all of the time without repurcussion d) have never been anyone on the defense other than the DL, 5) have never knocked down a pass, 6) have never played their responsibility in a zone coverage scheme, 7) have never modified plays pre-snap 8)....

could go on.

So anyway, I am embarking on my first ever full season of Madden 2005 on All-Madden, all the way through, no resets, with my 2008 Chicago Bears, fresh off the SuperBowl victory on All-Pro level.

I am currently 7-1, leading the division by a healthy 3 games.
Over the next two weeks, I will start take notes of the games this season, and try to establish a couple of important pointers for Madden Players each and every game. There are a lot of different things you should know.

But in the end, hopefully I can spread my nerdly knowledge to many of you - and after some practice, maybe I can actually find a good opponent to play.



(NOTE -- I really can't claim that all of these tactics would work for NCAA 2005 - 07 players. I've never gotten into that game, mainly because you can QB sneak every time on the highest level for 10-15 yards a pop with a moose playing QB, and because you can just throw the ball up in the air like an air balloon and no one knocks it down, in fact, your reciever, without aiding him, catches it most of the time -- oh, and when you try to knock down passes with DBs in that game, they dont even pretend to try or have even an idea of what that button is supposed to do -- that would explain why some of you who are used to NCAA Football were confused when I talked about that -- its technically something supposed to be available in that game, but none of the players actually respond to that key)

I am pretty sure I will hear about this from an NCAA lover. I know many. PS - you guys, lets start an NCAA 2007 season, I am willing to take my lumps for a few games.

LESSON ONE - WEEK 11 GAME (8-1) VS. BUCS (5-4)

No comments: